Chris Dixon was interviewed by Andrew Ross Sorkin on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” on 29 January 2024. Dixon, who oversees a $7.6 billion crypto fund and has invested in major players like Coinbase and Solana, shared his insights on various aspects of the crypto industry, including the U.S. SEC’s decision on spot Bitcoin ETFs, the NFT market, crypto regulation, and more.
Dixon is a partner at Andreessen Horowitz (a16z) and the founder of their crypto division, a16z crypto. He is recognized as a prominent venture capitalist and has notably risen to the top of Forbes’ annual Midas List. Dixon leads a16z crypto, which invests in web3 technologies through four dedicated funds with more than $7 billion under management.
He is also the author of “Read Write Own: Building the Next Era of the Internet,” published by Random House in January 2024. Prior to his role at a16z, Dixon co-founded and served as CEO of two startups, SiteAdvisor and Hunch. His interests include programming, philosophy, history, the internet, startups, and investing.
Here are some of the main highlights of the interview:
- SEC’s Decision on spot Bitcoin ETFs: Dixon views institutional acceptance of crypto, like the SEC’s decision on Bitcoin ETFs, as a positive development. However, his focus remains on investing in entrepreneurs who are building applications for widespread use.
- Blockchain as an Expansive Technology: He emphasizes that blockchain is not just about financial services but is a new way to build internet services, including games, social networks, and more.
- Future of Crypto Regulation: Dixon believes that crypto technology is inevitable and expects increased acceptance of financial instruments like ETFs over time. He also highlights the importance of regulatory clarity in the crypto space.
- NFT Market Dynamics: Addressing the NFT market, Dixon notes that the perceived decline of NFTs is exaggerated. He points out the technology’s rapid growth and its potential beyond just digital art, including applications in music, social media, and more.
- Venture Capital and Regulation: Dixon disagrees with the notion that venture capitalists neglect due diligence in crypto investments. He stresses the importance of regulatory compliance and responsible investing, citing his firm’s cautious approach and advocacy for regulatory guardrails.
- AI, Deepfakes, and Blockchain: Discussing AI and deepfakes, Dixon sees blockchain as a crucial countermeasure, providing an immutable audit trail to verify the authenticity of digital content.
Featured Image via Pixabay