Matt Hougan, the Chief Investment Officer of Bitwise Asset Management, recently shared his insights on the potential effects of US-listed spot Bitcoin (BTC) Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs) on the cryptocurrency market. In an interview with the “The Defiant” podcast, Hougan analyzed both the immediate and long-term implications of these newly launched financial products.

Short-Term Market Reaction to Spot Bitcoin ETFs

Hougan observed that the market had largely anticipated the U.S. SEC’s approval of spot Bitcoin ETFs, as evidenced by the relatively stable price action since their introduction. He suggested that the market had already factored in the short-term effects of these ETFs, leading to a period of volatility but without significant price movement. This stability indicates that the immediate impact of the ETFs may have been overestimated by investors.

Long-Term Impact on Bitcoin’s Value

Looking ahead, Hougan emphasized the potential for a substantial long-term impact from spot Bitcoin ETFs, which he believes the market has dramatically underestimated. Drawing parallels with the history of gold ETFs, he pointed out that when gold ETFs were introduced in 2004, gold was a $2 trillion market. Today, it has grown to a $15 trillion market, with ETFs playing a significant role in this expansion. Hougan anticipates a similar trajectory for Bitcoin, expecting tens of billions of dollars to flow into spot Bitcoin ETFs over the years, which he predicts will significantly bolster Bitcoin’s price.

Shift in Investor Demographics

Hougan highlighted a crucial shift in the investor base for Bitcoin. He noted that until now, Bitcoin’s price has been primarily driven by retail investors, who control only about 20% of the wealth in the United States. However, the introduction of spot market BTC ETFs opens the door for the remaining 80% of wealth, controlled by financial advisors and institutions, to enter the Bitcoin market. This shift is particularly significant given the limited supply of new Bitcoin entering the market. Hougan believes that the market has not fully appreciated the magnitude of this change and its potential impact on Bitcoin’s value.

Similarly, VanEck digital assets advisor Gabor Gurbacs believes that, in the long term, the influence of spot Bitcoin ETFs is likely underestimated. Drawing parallels with gold, Gurbacs suggests that historical trends in gold investment could be informative.

He also points out that while immediate developments often receive a lot of attention, the broader, long-term implications of Bitcoin, especially in shaping its own capital markets and financial products, are not fully appreciated in the current market valuation. Gurbacs emphasizes that the focus shouldn’t just be on traditional financial entities like BlackRock adopting Bitcoin but on which Bitcoin company could emerge as a major player like BlackRock in the future.

Bloomberg Intelligence’s two most prominent ETF analysts, Eric Balchunas and James Seyffart, mostly agree with Gurbacs’ analysis.

Featured Image via Pixabay