Cardano wallet providers, Cardano DApp developers, Cardano stake pool operators (SPOs), as well IOG of course, are all currently getting themselves ready for the Vasil hard fork combinator (HFC) event, which is expected around early to mid September.
Why Is Cardano’s Next Major Upgrade Named ‘Vasil’?
On 10 December 2021, IOG Co-Founder and CEO Charles Hoskinson explained that he was going to honour his Bulgarian friend and Cardano ambassador Vasil Stoyanov Davov — who sadly passed away in his apartment in Plovdiv, Bulgaria on 3 December 2021 after a lengthy battle with pulmonary embolism” — by naming the next hard fork after him. Vasil was an artist, entrepreneur, blockchain consultant, Haskell practioneer, and ginkgologist. Furthermore, it would not be an exaggeration to say that he was a highly beloved and respected member of the Cardano community.
Then, on 6 June 2022, IOG paid further tribute to Vasil by releasing a beautiful short video in which Harrison talked about Vasil’s legacy.
Current Rollout Status of Vasil According to IOG
On Thursday (August 25), IOG explained where we are currently on the road to the Vasil HFC event.
Here are the main takeaways:
- The latest version of Cardano node software released by IOG is 1.35.3.
- A new version of the Daedalus, which is a full node $ADA wallet, that is compatible with release 1.35.3 is expected to be ready by early September at the latest.
- So far, no critical defects (i.e. severity levels 1 through 3) have been found in release 1.35.3, meaning that there are no “showstopper” bugs.
- As of 8:40 p.m. UTC on August 25 (epoc 359), 59% of mainnet node are on release 1.35.3 and 43% of mainnet block production is coming from block producer nodes on release 1.35.3. We need this second percentage to reach 75%.
- Cardano Foundation is helping exchanges to get ready, and 80% of exchanges (by liquidity) need to be ready.
- We need the top 10 DApps (by TVL) to confirm that they have upgraded to release 1.35.3 on the pre-production testnet and on mainnet. So far, 4 of the top 10 DApps have confirmed that “they are actively testing against node 1.35.3 on the pre-production testnet.”
- Hopefully, on August 26, IOG will have ready a new dashboard (web page) that shows rollout status in an easy to digest way.
Featured Image via Pixabay