Prominent crypto analyst and trader Josh Rager explains how looking at on-chain network activity can be a good way to discover which altcoins to invest in. He uses Chainlink (LINK) as an example.
Rager, who is also a Co-Founder of online crypto learning platform Blockroots, as well as an advisor to several blockchain startups, used on-chain market intelligence platform Glassnode to look at several on-chain metrics for Chainlink (LINK).
Glassnode believes that the problem with conventional valuation metrics is that they "don’t provide enough valuable information about the new crypto asset class; they are too noisy, too easy to manipulate, and too low-fidelity when applied to blockchain assets."
In contrast, it says that on-chain data "enables the development of a new generation of metrics," which "can more precisely measure relevant economic activity in crypto networks, allowing stakeholders to make better informed decisions and more accurate predictions."
In particular, when examining Chainlink's transactions with Glassnode Studio, as he notes in the tweet below, he noticed that Chainlink has "shown significant growth in transfers w/ each passing month," which he says suggests "increasing token interest & usage."
Looking into #onchain network activity can be a good way to select assets to invest in during the bull market 🎯— Josh Rager 📈 (@Josh_Rager) August 13, 2019
e.g. $LINK has shown significant growth in transfers w/ each passing month. Useful metric to see increasing token interest & usage @glassnodehttps://t.co/17WnXS3ZMp pic.twitter.com/8F52iOyh6W
Here are the on-chain metrics available in Glassnode Studio (although it should be noted that not all of them are applicable to every digital asset):
- Indicators: Spent Output Profit Ratio (SOPR); NVT Ratio; Average Coin Dormancy; and Supply adjusted Dormancy
- Addresses: Active Addresses; New Addresses; Sending Addresses; and Receiving Addresses
- Exchanges: Exchange Inflow (Total); Exchange Outflow (Total); Exchange Deposits; and Exchange Withdrawals
- Fees: Fee (Total); Fee (Mean); Gas Used (Total); Gas Used (Mean); Gas Used (Median); Gas Price (Mean); Gas Price (Median); Transaction Gas Limit (Mean); and Transaction Gas Limit (Median)
- Transactions: Transaction Count; Transaction Rate; Transfer Count; Transfer Rate; Transfer Volume (Total); and Transfer Volume (Mean)
When some people replied to Rager's tweet to ask him to elaborate on what he had said about Chainlink, he answered:
It shows interest and there are certainly many new addresses and signs of accumulation over the past few months— Josh Rager 📈 (@Josh_Rager) August 13, 2019
Definitely— Josh Rager 📈 (@Josh_Rager) August 13, 2019
LINK looks more attractive onchain than majority of altcoins
Indeed, although the LINK price has gone down quite a bit since it reached its all-time high (ATH) on June 29, LINK remains the top performing cryptoasset of 2019, with its price having gone up over 693% this year.
Featured IMage Credit: Photo via Pixabay.com