The TRON (TRX) mainnet was successfully launched on 31 May 2018. During the event, which was livestreamed, TRON Foundation founder and CEO, Justin Sun, made some important announcements regarding the development team's accomplishments in reaching the Odyssey 2.0 milestone and the TRON Foundation's plans for the future. Here are the main highlights from Sun's presentation:
- The development team had to work 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, to prepare for the mainnet launch. Justin said that in comparison, this process took Ethereum (ETH) 30 months.
- TRON's mainnet can currently handle 2000 Transactions Per Second (TPS) in comparison to Ethereum's mainnet, which only can do 20 TPS.
- During the week prior to the mainnet release, TRON was ranked #1 on Github in terms of number of commits (253):
- TRON's "Independence Day" is 25 June 2018, the day when ERC20-based TRX tokens on the Ethereum mainnet will convert to TRX coins on TRON's mainnet; all major crypto exchanges have already promised to handle the token migration:
- TRON's $2 billion "Project Genesis", which was announced on 13 April 2018, and which has already awarded loans for DApps developed on the TRON platform, will play a huge part in TRON's success by rewarding TRON's developer community in a number of ways, such as a bug bounty program with rewards in the $10,000-$100,000 range (depending on bug severity), a development conference in September 2018, a hackathon event also in September 2018, and a blockchain investment fund. One part of the Genesis project that started in April 2018 is the Programming Competition, which currently has 42 teams with hundreds of developers from 14 different countries taking part.
- On June 26th, there will be the Super Representative Election, which means that TRON supporters will be able to elect the 27 Super Representatives (block producers) who will be operating and governing the TRON network. The candidates "range from blockchain companies to community groups."
- On 31 July 2018, "Odyssey 3.0", the TRON Virtual Machine (TVM), will be launched, which will allow developers to create smart contracts on the TRON mainnet.
- In Q4 2018, the TRON p2P network will be launched; this will support features such as multi-sig.
- In Q1 2019, we will see the integration of Node Sharding for Super Representatives.
- To help users easily discover native TRON DApps, the TRON network website will be updated so that it includes an "app store." Another useful new feature will be the TRON Block Explorer.
You can watch a full recording of the livestream event on YouTube.
Featured Image Credit: Photo via Unsplash